Wednesday, May 1, 2013

What I Made Wednesday {Homemade Tortilla Chips}

It's Cinco de Mayo this weekend. Don't be caught with salsa and guacamole sans chips! It's exactly the situation I found myself in the other day. We were all in the mood for Mexican Fiesta Night and I specifically went to the store for the cheese, green onion, avocado, ground meat, tortillas, and salsa. When I arrived home I noticed I forgot the all-important tortilla chips. OH NO!


One thing was for sure, I wasn't going back out for tortilla chips. What did I do? I heated up some corn oil, chopped up my tortillas into little triangles, and I started frying away! These homemade chips were absolutely delicious!!! I hope my mistake is your gain and you try the scrumptiousness of these beauties for Cinco de Mayo.

What You'll Need
White Corn Tortillas (my preference)
Corn Oil, preferably
Dutch Oven, to fry in
Sea Salt, optional

What You'll Do
Cut tortillas into triangles by slicing across like you would a pizza.
Heat the oil to a medium-high heat.
You'll know the oil is ready when you place a tortilla in and bubbles form around it.

Place more tortillas into the oil but try not to overcrowd it. Fry until lightly browned.

What You'll Need to Know to Finish
Don't wait until the tortilla is browned, then you will have overcooked it because it continues to fry, even out of the oil. Scoop the tortillas out of the oil using a slotted spoon and onto a plate or pan lined with paper towel to absorb the excess oil. Sprinkle with sea salt if so desired and enjoy!

To go along with these chips of beauty, be sure to check out my guacamole recipe

No comments:

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design