Wednesday, May 2, 2012

What I Made Wednesday {Chicken and Waffles!}

Chicken and waffles? Do not grimace, do not look confused, as it was the same reaction I had when thinking those go together about as much as social security and retirement - laughable, I know especially for my generation. But, believe it or not, it works and many restaurants like Roscoe's House of Chicken and Waffles have made a name for themselves using this unusual combo.
If you're truly not into it, don't despair because I'm about to give you a killer waffle recipe that you could stash away for Sunday morning breakfast and leave the chicken for lunch!

Last week's WIM Wednesday post shared a delicious Chicken Fingers recipe. You'll use that recipe for the "Chicken" part of today's post and the waffle recipe follows.

What You'll Need
1/2 Cup butter
1 Tablespoon sugar
4 egg yolks
2 Cups milk
2 Cups flour
4 egg whites, stiffly beaten
4 teaspoons baking powder
waffle maker (I prefer Belgium waffles)
hand mixer




What You'll Do
The most challenging part about this whole recipe is the separating of the eggs. Place the egg whites in one bowl and the egg yolks in another.

Melt the butter and place with the egg yolks along with the sugar, flour, and milk. Whisk to combine.

Using your hand mixer, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. See how the peak stays peaked when I raise the mixer blades?
Sprinkle the baking powder on the stiffened egg whites and fold into the egg yolk mixture. Now you're ready to make some waffles!


Heat up your waffle iron maker to the desired temperature. I like mine less crisp than Super Hubby so I set the temperature a bit lower for me. Pour the batter and close.

What You'll Need to Know to Finish 
Be sure you have heated your chicken fingers from last week (Need the recipe? Click Here.) Even if you don't try the Chicken and Waffles combo, the waffle recipe is a keeper! The stiffened egg whites and baking powder make the waffles light and fluffy and crispy on the outside. Heat up your maple syrup, pat of butter on the waffle, and enjoy!

9 comments:

Suzan Wood-Young said...

Wow, what an awesome waffle maker you have!

I am LOVD said...

Yes, it's truly the greatest waffle iron I've ever owned!!! Pro-style where you close it and rotate it to cook. Another Super Hubby great-buy. Thanks!

momto8 said...

you would get hired here! this is on every menu around...but yousr look better!

Chrissy said...

This looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this! You have some great recipes!

Christine said...

Never had chicken with waffles... but I MUST try it!!

Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!! :)

Melissa @ Loving this {crazy} life! said...

I've always wanted to chicken and waffles. I just found a yummy fried chicken recipe. I may have to do that with waffles the next time so I can see what it's like. Sweet and savory meals.

Thanks for linking up!

cathy@my1929charmer said...

These brought back memories for me. My Mom would make us waffles before school in a waffle maker just like this, well maybe a little older. Thanks for the recipe, and for sharing your creative inspiration over at Sunday's Best!

Rose :: Fine Craft Guild .com said...

i love that comment
' you would get hired here'. ...
my feeling exactly, haha!

Thank you for linking it up at our link party: http://www.finecraftguild.com/party/
As always, I love your ideas!


A brand new party will open today!

Ashley said...

I am eager to try this recipe because I just haven't found one I love that works in our new-ish waffle maker. :)

 

Back to TOP

Boutique Blog Design